77 West Wacker
|Address||77 West Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60601|
|Architecture firm||Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura|
|Architecture firm of record||DeStefano and Goettsch|
|Rentable floor space||959,258 square feet|
- It is not uncommon for skyscrapers to skip a floor or two here and there. In many, the 13th floor is skipped because of superstition. In this building, the 49th floor is skipped so it can claim to be 50 stories tall.
- The cladding is Portuguese Royal granite.
- This was Ricardo Bofill's first American skyscraper.
- The gables over the entrances of this building echo the pediments at the top of the building.
- This was one of the filming locations for the movie The Negotiator.
- This was one of the filming locations for the movie A Lover For My Husband.
|April 18, 1990||Groundbreaking|
|July 26, 1991||This building topped out.|
|1995||In a Chicago Tribune poll, this building was ranked seventh on a list of Chicago's top ten buildings.|
|2006||This building was renamed the United Airlines Building. The airline got $6,600,000 in tax breaks to move its headquarters from the suburbs into this building.|
|2007||United Airlines added a large illuminated UNITED sign to the top of this building.|
|August 13, 2012||United Airlines announced that it was moving its corporate headquarters out of this building.|
This building is a delightful melding of old and new. It takes a skeleton of traditional architecture with white granite columns, pediments, and the like, and updates it by filling in the empty spaces with silver reflective glass. The result is something that is both comfortable and new. Familiar and still interesting. It makes you wonder what the Romans would have been up to by now had their empire not collapsed all those centuries ago.
55 West Wacker
55 West Wacker
200 North Dearborn Apartments
200 North Dearborn
111 West Wacker Drive
Leo Burnett Building
35 West Wacker Drive
Clark Street Bridge
North Clark Street
Loop Transportation Center
203 North LaSalle Street
Dearborn Street Bridge
Spanning the Chicago River at Dearborn Street
221 North LaSalle Street
Eastland Disaster Monument
West Wacker Drive at North LaSalle Street
The Goodman Theater
170 North Dearborn Street