226 West Jackson
|Address||226 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60606|
|Built||1904 - 1905|
|Property size||17,400 square feet|
|Building size||185,000 square feet|
|Developer||The Chicago and Northwestern Railway|
|Architecture firm||Frost and Granger|
|General contractor||The George A. Fuller Company|
- This was the headquarters of the Chicago and North Western Railway until 1929, when it moved to 400 West Madison Street, then known as the Chicago Daily News Building. This was next door to its largest terminal.
- This building's west and south façades are light grey granite.
- This building's east and north façades are cream-colored brick with terra cotta accents.
- This building's window frames and spandrels are cast iron, created by the Winslow Brothers Company.
- The building's main entrance is flanked by a pair of oversized Doric columns.
- Charles Frost, one of the partners in the architecture firm selected to design this building, was the son-in-law of Marvin Hughitt, the president of the railroad that had the building built.
- This building has a light well on its east side.
- The decorative cast ironwork was designed by the Winslow Brothers Company.
|1929||The Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, for whom this building was built, moved out. The building remained mostly vacant for more than a decade.|
|1942||The War Department leased this entire building.|
|1978||This building was purchased by the City of Chicago for use as the headquarters of the City Colleges of Chicago.|
|January 2018||City Colleges of Chicago announced a plan to redevelop this building into apartments.|
|September 2019||Crain's Chicago Business reported that Phoenix Development Group paid $32,700,000 for this building.|
|October 2019||A plan was floated to turn this building in a 135 room Hilton Garden Inn and a 214 room Canopy by Hilton hotel. Crain's Chicago Business reported that the redevelopment would cost $100,000,000.|
|February, 2020||The Commission on Chicago Landmarks recommended this building be named a city landmark.|
209 West Jackson Boulevard
The Brooks Building
223 West Jackson Boulevard
321 South Franklin Street
321 South Franklin
Insurance Exchange Building
175 West Jackson Boulevard
Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
165 West Quincy Street
The Unnamed Willis Tower Hotel
253 South Wacker Drive
Traders Self Park
326 South Wells Street
208 South LaSalle
208 South LaSalle Street
Van Buren Building
212 West Van Buren Street
311 South Wacker Drive
311 South Wacker Drive